Re: [IP] Basal increments

> The statement below seems a little strange to me but I do use humalog. If I
> bolus, I must eat within 15 - 20 minutes to keep up with the insulin otherwise
> I'm shakin' and sweatin'. Granted it may still be working an hour later, it
> does start working much much sooner. Seems to me getting a little bit every 3
> minutes, verses a build up after an hour could make a tremendous difference
> (YMMV).
>       Katie
> << Don't worry about how 'often' it gives another squirt of basal. Once
>  it's under skin, it then has to slowly seep through the fat before
>  entering the bloodstream. 1 hour later it's still seeping through. In
>  the meantime more insulin has come along behind it... so 3 minutes, 6
>  minutes, 20 minutes - it really makes no difference to the supply of
>  insulin to the bloodstream.
>   >>

Insulin starts to work slowly.... (5-10 mins)
Then it builds up speed.... (30-45 mins)
Faster and faster.... (1 hour)
Then it slows down.... (1.5 hours)
Then it tails off.... (2 hours)
Then it's all gone.... (3 hours)

(This is for ME and HUMALOG. Typically double the times for Regular. And
different people's times vary a lot as well)

A bolus of 8 units is 80 times greater than a basal squirt of 0.1 units.
So the initial effect of the first half hour will be 80 times greater.
That's why the timing of the bolus matters, but is less important for
the basals.

Hope that makes sense!

On MDI I used to use tiny amounts of Humalog to take the "top" off a
high bg. Maybe just 2 units. But within 10 minutes I could feel it
working. It brought a wonderful feeling... a sort of warm exuberence...
rather like a snort of cocaine, but legal.

Doesn't happen anymore, now I'm on Humalog all the time :(

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted