Re: [IP] zero to DKA....

In a message dated 5/9/98 9:38:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted
writes:

<< e to "practice" in that field...  I don't think that there is any
 recognized professional "pump certification"...  though there
 probably should be!

MiniMed and Disetronic both have certification programs.....I have both.  The
requirements and the standards for certification include a training program,
study for a written test, and observation by a pump company representative.  I
know...I have both. Certification for CDEs now requires a BS in nursing  and
1000 hours of direct one on one patient education. Now there are a few pump
trainers out there who are not endocrinologists, nurses or CDEs.  I think
MiniMed is trying to  only approve people who have fulfilled the requirements
before accepting an application for the process, but there are still a few
non-professionals out there who are pump wearers.   I have run into a few of
them. I strongly believe is trainers having the right credentials before
starting anyone on the pump.  Personally, I observed several pump starts
before I even studied to take the certification test.  I was observed starting
my first patient... a 13 year old.  Ask the person you are working with to
show you their certification credentials.  I have them on the wall in my
office.

Barbara