Re: [IP] complications

> i have a question about complications.  i know they have done the study that
> intensive therapy prevents complications but i wonder by how much.

>From the Summary of The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial

This is the first DCCT link on our website under LINKS

http://www.lij.edu/sch/ped_endocrinology/dcct.html#complication
Quote:
Was the complication rate less in the intensive therapy group?

Yes! The results showed:

Eye Disease
     Intensive therapy reduced the risk of diabetic eye disease by 76%
     in the primary prevention group (individuals without any diabetic
     eye disease at the start of the study). Similarly, intensive
     therapy reduced the risk of advancement of pre-existing eye
     disease (secondary intervention group) by 54%.

Diabetic Kidney Disease:
     Intensive therapy reduced the risk of early diabetic kidney
     disease by 34% in the primary prevention group (individuals
     without any diabetic eye disease at the start of the study) and
     by 43% in the secondary intervention group (those with
     pre-existing diabetic eye disease). In addition, intensive
     therapy reduced the risk of progression of pre-existing kidney
     disease by 56% in the secondary intervention group.

Diabetic Nerve Disease
     Intensive therapy reduced the risk of diabetic nerve disease
     (neuropathy) by 69% in the primary prevention group (individuals
     without any diabetic eye disease at the start of the study).
     Similarly, intensive therapy reduced the risk of diabetic nerve
     disease by 57% in the secondary intervention group (those with
     pre-existing diabetic eye disease).