Ultralente (was Re: [IP] zero to DKA in nothin' flat?)

Hi Lori,

I am also one of those rare (I guess) people who get along great on

However, when I went to my new Endo a couple of weeks ago, he agreed
that I would be better off on a pump and immediately Rx'd the MiniMed
507.  I am now in the process of waiting for insurance approval, etc.
Like I've said before, I just hope it doesn't turn into a battle between
me, my Endo and the insurance (HMO).

I have several reasons for wanting to go on a pump.  1) I am just plain
tired of 2 injections of Ultralente and another 5 or 6 (or more
sometimes) of Humalog, each and every day of my life.  2) I will be
having 2 (maybe 3 or 4) medium to major surgeries within the next year.
3) I am hoping that after the surgeries, I will be able to get pregnant
with my first baby (definitely need good BG control for that)!  4)I
really feel that my BG control and quality of life will improve after I
am on my pump, and my Endo agrees with me.

In the meantime, I guess, I will continue on the "Poor Man's Pump" ...
Humalog/Ultralente MDI.

<< Sorry for the sappiness.  My main point is that MDI can also be a
route.  I'm not certain why there are so many vocal opponents to
perhaps my body was one in a trillion that fits its curve.  Before the
gastroparesis problems ensued, my life on U was very similar to what
talk about with the pump.  The differences? -- costs were much lower, I
wasn't "hitched" to a machine, and life was a pain once a month when my
basal needs increased for menses.  I could, however, eat what I wanted,
whenever I wanted to.  I skipped meals with abandon.  I had a few
reactions - but minimized them with testing.  My A1c's were never over
and when prepping for pregnancy were between 4 and 4.5.  I had a good
and a great CDE.  I was (am) motivated.  I did (do) a LOT of bgs.
like a pumper, right?  I think that the keys are twofold; motivation/bg
monitoring, and a doc who is actually willing to work with and through
initial hassles to get U set up.  While I pray that none of my kids will
ever need manufactured insulin, I would definitely try the Ultralente
first.  I agree fervently that life on Nph is an enormous pain in the
behind, but U can be very similar to the pump.  And, of course, YMMV
mileage may vary).
Take care,
Lori >>

		If your Bible is in good shape ...