Harder or Better (was Re: [IP] Re: Kids 'n Pumps ...)

On  9 May 98 at 12:00, Michael wrote:

> My comments were directed toward the attitude of the 'professonals'
> whe seem to think that pumping is much harder than taking shots and
> provides no benefits except the obvious medical ones.  I don't claim
> that Lily's life is normal as compared to her pre-diabetic days, just
> closer to normal. I consider the sleep, shot, eat, snack, shot, eat,
> snack, shot, snack, sleep routine to be very ABNORMAL and very close
> to torture. Most kids violate this schedule on a routine
> basis because they can't stand it and feel deprived. Eliminating that
> routine is a HUGE step toward normalacy and a lot less hassle than
> figuring out how to use a pump.

The SCHEDULE that many people are put on when they are diagnosed
isn't just torture, it is malicious!  Some of the people teaching
this form of "control" aren't teaching it for bg level control, they
are using it for personal power surges...  I've talked to some
"teaching nurses" who believe that every diabetic simply HAS to take
their morning shot at 07:00 am or the "system" just won't work...
same thing about having only 4 or 5 "meal plans" that you must stick
too without alteration or change.   That results in tragic things
like people not being able to go to family dinners because "they are
diabetic and have to eat their food at 4:45 p.m. every day."  I know
several people who have followed the SCHEDULE with precision for
fifteen years - diagnosed at the same time I was - who are now
fighting serious complications...   their doctor's didn't teach them
much, just taught them to FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS" and now they are
paying the price... (not the doctors - they are "experts" with
diabetes and beyond reproach)

I spent almost 15 years under torture - even with a good doctor -
because the SCHEDULE and the protocols out of the book just don't
allow the precision needed to live anything close to a normal life.
Some of the doctors around here have successfully managed to get
insulin dependent diabetics on total disability because of their
daily highs and lows - meaning they cannot safely drive, work around
machines or otherwise be responsible...

I'm constantly amazed by people who see me eating at a reastaurant
and say that they were told that "diabetics cannot eat out anymore"
or wonder why their cousin or brother was told they couldn't eat
"real food" when they started taking insulin...

Bottom line - which is more difficult - MDI with the test, shot,
breakfast, test, snack, test, shot, lunch, test, snack, test, dinner,
test, snack,test, bedtime snack routine with almost no flexibility
and the constant effort of answering the "am I going up or down"
question or the "simpler" test, bolus, breakfast, test,test, bolus,
lunch, test, test, bolus, dinner, test, bedtime test routine where if
you skip a meal you just skip a bolus?

On MDI it took lots of time, effort and worry to even get close to
target and you were constantly guessing about which side of the curve
you were on.  On the pump I can keep things relatively stable and
attend to what else is happening in the world around me...

What's your take?  Is the pump more work, less work or about the
same?  Are the results better for the same amount of effort invested
in MDI?

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message