Re: [IP] Waterproof-ness was: Choose by Color

> I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I have a couple of friends with pumps.
> >From what they tell me, they have been swimming in the Great Salt Lake
> (many times saltier than the ocean) with the Sportsguard and it worked
> just fine ... just needed to be washed off with clean water afterwards.
> The Sportsguard also keeps sand from getting into your pump when you are
> out on the beach.
Well, I've kept quiet on this one for a while but Lily's sportguard
has leaked many times and TWICE with disasterous results. On those
two occasions her pump was killed and had to be returned to MM for

The problem is related to the shape of the stopper that closes off
the mouth of the Sportguard and what happens to it when it ages.

Originally the stopper was made of some material that warped a lot as
it aged. The sides of the stopper slowly buckled in as it got older
and no amount of grease would then seal the top when the sportguard
was mildly flexed although it appeared to be sealed on inspection.

MiniMed sent replacement stoppers to all Sportguard customers a
couple of years ago. These stoppers were made of a new material that
did not shrink with age "as much". However, when you use this thing
every day like a kid at the beach, or on a swim team, what small
amount of shrinkage that occurs is also a problem.  After another
year, the new stopper does not look any better than the old one and
was responsible for the second disasterous pump death over a three
day weekend.

After that episode, we experimented with using regular to cover basal
requirements for up to 4-5 hours at a time. This proved to be a much
better solution in the long run since Lily then didn't need to worry
about the junk hung around her waist and could just concentrate on
having fun. Now, she just disconnects for all sports and beach-like
activities, bolusing a small amount to cover up to an hour at a time
or using some regular if she plans to be off her pump for longer than

With respect to Disetronic, this pump is waterproof in a manner
similar to a waterproof watch. I has seals to keep water out of the
important parts. HOWEVER, these seals are not resistant to high
pressures and the pump should not be worn when doing things like
skindiving where the pressure variation can vary by 2:1 or more.

My personal recommendation is to remove any pump for swimming or
contact sports. Why risk damage to the equipment or hurting someone
else if they run into you and whack the pump with a head or
something. A small bolus will cover short term pump disconnects and
regular will cover long term disconnects.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted