Re: Educating "Professionals" (was Re: [IP] zero to DKA....)

Randall,
I agree with you -- in theory, and yes, I've been burned very recently.
Professionals ought to know better than to pull some of the idiocy we have
seen.  If the certifers will take comments, that could be a good step.

However, I don't like the write to your local paper line of thinking.  I
remember that those doing the misdeeds to me are very worried about there
jobs right now.  I also remember the wonderful professions who have taught
me a lot, and learned a lot from me too.  Probably most importantly, I
remember what I thought of the ACT UP (or whatever they called themselves),
the Earth Firsters, and to a lesser extent some of the other militant
environmental groups.  (I'm an environmental engineer, so these are the
groups with whom I have the most contact.)  I respect those that use their
knowledge to make a difference, be they working within a corporation,
government, or environmental group.  I have no respect for the people dying
water supplies bright blue and carrying on on public docks.  Using tactics
which can harm others, or take away their livelihoods (the spikes used in
the NW supposedly in support of the Spotted Owl) is despicable.  While in
ways education is a slow process, I think that the new professionals section
here is a much better way.  I don't think that there is anything wrong with
giving a recommendation, good or bad, on a professional to a friend, but
public, negative publicity will inevitably kick US in the face.
Take care,
Lori