Re: [IP] zero to DKA in nothin' flat?

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but here goes. Last Saturday night I was in
a bad mood. I took a shower to relax, put on my pajamas, and went to bed
about 11:30. I woke up feeling yucky at 5:30. I had FORGOTTEN to reconnect
my pump. In 3+ years, that's the first time.

At 5, my blood sugar was 371. I reconnected and bolused 3.5 units (3 units
to come down, and 0.5 to cover the basal rate for the previous hour). I
felt like hell, so I went upstairs to read.

At 6, my blood sugar was down to 273. I still felt pretty yucky, though
not as bad. I was too nauseus to drink much, though. I had moderate

At 6:30 I was down to 197 and went back to sleep.

At 9 I was 131 and had only trace ketones. The rest of the day was pretty

So: I had NO insulin for 6 hours, and then I woke up to use the toilet. My
blood sugar was normal 4 hours later. I use mostly Humalog (1/4 Regular) in
my pump.

I think that if you teach Stephanie to (1) always check her blood sugar
when she wakes up in the middle of the night and (2) get you if she's out
of a pre-specified range, you'll be fine. I find I wake up when my blood
sugar is too low or much too high, though YMMV. (I've never had to go to
the ER. I was diagnosed when I was 17, in 1983, followed MDI from diagnosis
until I got the pump, and am quite sure that I don't have any residual
insulin production.)

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted