Re: [IP] zero to DKA....

Kim Huffman wrote:

Ruth, I am sorry that you had that kind of experience in your teen
years.  I can just imagine how you might have felt.  It's too bad you
had those kind of expectations placed on you.  You didn't deserve to
have that kind of pressure on top of the burden of diabetes!!
Kim,  it's easy to think my experience is just a bad one.  Except that I am always amazed by how kids I know with very wonderful parents express similar types of problems (not necessarily about diabetes but about other things).  My sister in law is about the most together mom I've ever known but here 3 pre-teen daughters still sometimes think that they can't talk about certain things in certain ways with their parents.  (I guess we're lucky that they at least sometimes talk to us about them).  I guess the point is that you don't have to do anything outrightly "wrong" to have problems with a teenager on the pump (or maybe with anything).  On the other hand, there seems to be lots to do to prevent problems.  I'm being sort of silly contiuing to try to explain.  I guess as I said earlier, imagining some oppostion from vehenment pumpers, I don't think pumping is bad I just think it should be done with lots of awareness -- which you seem to have done fabulously.

I'm not sure what the CDE is objecting to exactly.  I suspect she has some reasons that look "right" from her angle.  Perhaps it will just take some time and communication to get her in your camp.  If she is willing to discuss her reservations or the theory behind no kids under 12, you might have a friendly atmosphere to fight in.

Best of luck,
Hang in there.

Where are you in Northern California?

<<Again, that was not meant to be a negative post.  I often work with
with family problems and so many families do have problems.  That's fine

except I don't think we encourage families to imagine those problems and

possible solutions for them or to make realistic choices about whether
can sustain the investments they are making.>>

Your statement at the beginning, "sounds like you are pretty well
prepared", is a more of a response  than I received from our CDE the
other day (thank-you!).  I had sent her the log sheet along with a cover
note to remind her of our upcoming appt. to discuss the pump.  I wanted
to let her know what "homework" we had  done over the past few months,
which was the following:
1.  Read the book, "Pumping Insulin", which was recommended by Michael.
2.  Join the Insulin Pumpers List, also recommended by Michael.
3.  Read and printed off all the stories from KidsRPumping & from this
Insulin Pumpers site.
4.  Attended an out of town seminar on Insulin Pumps, which incl. an
adult endo., 4 panelists, and MiniMed reps. - brought our daughter to
listen and look over the pump and accessories.
5.  Corresponded with over eight families via e-mail to discuss pros and
cons of pumping, most of whom had children my daughter's age.
6.  Ordered videos and lit. from both pump companies, watched them both
several times.
7.  Had lunch with a young adult/camp counsler who is now on the pump (l
hr. drive but we live in a small town w/no one on pumps that I know of.)
She babysits for a family we are friends with.
8.  Have had numerous conversations with MiniMed rep. and District
Manager of the company.
9.  Collected articles from diabetes publications and internet sources
on the subject.

I made it very clear that at this point we were still just wanting to
get as much information as possible on the subject, and that the purpose
of the appt. for us was to learn more about it from them.  I knew
Stephanie was still wavering between "yes yes, I want it", to having
second thoughts.  I think it would just help her to know whether it was
something she wanted to consider or that she felt she wasn't ready for
right now. (either way, fine with us! I just believe in exploring all
our options in order to give our daughter a choice)
Her response to my "homework" was, "well, the MiniMed reps. are going to
be biased".  Then she went into the whole subject of DKA which is what
prompted me to write the post, "DKA in nothin' flat" in order to learn
more from those with pump experience. (nothing said about the rest of
I hope I haven't stepped too far out of bounds from the purpose of this
group.  Sorry it's so long.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted