No Subject

Our children need the best care available!  That is the bottom line.  If
putting them on the pump is the best possible care, then they should do it.  I
know from our experience that one, and this is just one, of the best things
that the pump has done for Darren is allow him to eat the extra things and not
have to take out a bottle and needle.  There is a coffee/pastry shop across
the street from his school.  The kids frequent there a lot.  Prior to the pump
he would have a pastry in the afternoon and not take the extra shot.  "It's a
hassle" would be his reply when he came home and tested in the high 300's.  To
him taking the extra shot was worse than the horrible feeling he would have.
And being 12, he doesn't look at the long term picture of what will be going
on in his body when he is in his 30's.  Now, he knows how to carb count and
match his insulin to what he eats, he just didn't want to take a 6th shot for
the day.  Now that he is on the pump, he orders his pastry, presses a button,
eats and feels good.  He comes home and tests at 130 almost every day.  When
we are high, we look for other problems, not that he skipped his insulin.   At
times he gets tired of being "hooked up", but when I ask if he would rather go
back to MDI, he firmly answers "No Way!".

I hope this helps.
Liz (Darren's mom, age 13 1/2, dxd 1/95, started pumping 1/98 MM507)
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted