Educating "Professionals" (was Re: [IP] zero to DKA....)

On  8 May 98 at 0:24, Kim Huffman wrote:

> I made it very clear that at this point we were still just wanting to
> get as much information as possible on the subject, and that the purpose
> of the appt. for us was to learn more about it from them.  I knew
> Stephanie was still wavering between "yes yes, I want it", to having
> second thoughts.  I think it would just help her to know whether it was
> something she wanted to consider or that she felt she wasn't ready for
> right now. (either way, fine with us! I just believe in exploring all
> our options in order to give our daughter a choice)
> Her response to my "homework" was, "well, the MiniMed reps. are going to
> be biased".  Then she went into the whole subject of DKA which is what
> prompted me to write the post, "DKA in nothin' flat" in order to learn
> more from those with pump experience. (nothing said about the rest of
> it)

Maybe it's time for some of us to figure out how to take effective
action against these ignorant "professionals"...  how about finding
out the address and contact numbers of the certification group, state
board or whoever is over them professionally and then when they pull
some stunt like this contact the responsible parties directly...

I know it sounds harsh, but these people are promoting stupidity and
ignorance while masquerading as "professionals."   We need to kick
them in the certification to get their attention - and raise a stink
with the media if it doesn't work.  Activism can be overdone, but we
are at a point where we need to do something - letters of
appreciation for those who have helped us and letters of "concern"
for those who are "insensitive" or "unhelpful"... of course these
letters should be sent to their superiors at their jobs and the
certifying bodies, and even possibly to the local newspaper...

Before you get all fired up to criticize me, this is the same type of
approach that has been used for several years by the AIDS activists
to get attention, funding and other goals.  They have many times
overstepped the bounds in their search for media attention, but their
efforts on getting the professionals straightend out has definately
worked.  So we don't have to go overboard, but we do need to make
efforts to ensure that those who claim to be "professionals" really
deserve the title...

> I hope I haven't stepped too far out of bounds from the purpose of this
> group.  Sorry it's so long.

> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end