[IP] zero to DKA....

Ruth wrote:
<<Sounds like you are pretty well prepared.  One of the things I
remember most
vividly about being "on my own" at home on the pump in my teens was that

everyone expected it to work perfectly -- all that time, all that money,
lucky I was -- so I never ever ever dared to admit if I blew it, it
have been proof I was irresponsible, ungrateful or incompetent.  As I
closer to college age, I thought it would have been read as evidence I
shouldn't be allowed to go (I was fighting about that anyway).   The
thing I remember is that while I knew I should test (urine in those
days) on
MDI, I could simply repeat my day plan without thinking about it and
probably not be in very good control but be relatively safe.>>>

Ruth, I am sorry that you had that kind of experience in your teen
years.  I can just imagine how you might have felt.  It's too bad you
had those kind of expectations placed on you.  You didn't deserve to
have that kind of pressure on top of the burden of diabetes!!

<<Again, that was not meant to be a negative post.  I often work with
with family problems and so many families do have problems.  That's fine

except I don't think we encourage families to imagine those problems and

possible solutions for them or to make realistic choices about whether
can sustain the investments they are making.>>

Your statement at the beginning, "sounds like you are pretty well
prepared", is a more of a response  than I received from our CDE the
other day (thank-you!).  I had sent her the log sheet along with a cover
note to remind her of our upcoming appt. to discuss the pump.  I wanted
to let her know what "homework" we had  done over the past few months,
which was the following:
1.  Read the book, "Pumping Insulin", which was recommended by Michael.
2.  Join the Insulin Pumpers List, also recommended by Michael.
3.  Read and printed off all the stories from KidsRPumping & from this
Insulin Pumpers site.
4.  Attended an out of town seminar on Insulin Pumps, which incl. an
adult endo., 4 panelists, and MiniMed reps. - brought our daughter to
listen and look over the pump and accessories.
5.  Corresponded with over eight families via e-mail to discuss pros and
cons of pumping, most of whom had children my daughter's age.
6.  Ordered videos and lit. from both pump companies, watched them both
several times.
7.  Had lunch with a young adult/camp counsler who is now on the pump (l
hr. drive but we live in a small town w/no one on pumps that I know of.)
She babysits for a family we are friends with.
8.  Have had numerous conversations with MiniMed rep. and District
Manager of the company.
9.  Collected articles from diabetes publications and internet sources
on the subject.

I made it very clear that at this point we were still just wanting to
get as much information as possible on the subject, and that the purpose
of the appt. for us was to learn more about it from them.  I knew
Stephanie was still wavering between "yes yes, I want it", to having
second thoughts.  I think it would just help her to know whether it was
something she wanted to consider or that she felt she wasn't ready for
right now. (either way, fine with us! I just believe in exploring all
our options in order to give our daughter a choice)
Her response to my "homework" was, "well, the MiniMed reps. are going to
be biased".  Then she went into the whole subject of DKA which is what
prompted me to write the post, "DKA in nothin' flat" in order to learn
more from those with pump experience. (nothing said about the rest of
I hope I haven't stepped too far out of bounds from the purpose of this
group.  Sorry it's so long.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted