[IP] Re: delayed BS rise

Vicki, I've noticed the same thing after big restaurant meals.  My
interpretation is different from Randall's.  I think it is related to the
protein.  As much as 50% of protein can get converted ot sugar, and this
takes several hours.  When I eat out, there is often a lot of protein,and I
usually don't figure this into my boluses.  For example a 1/4 pound burger
is about 115g--if half of this gets eventually converted to sugar, that
would require in my case about 4 U of insulin.  And if I didn't take that
insulin, my BS would go up almost 200 mg/dl.  Now about that 8 oz filet
	 I don't know if the increased fat can slow carbohydrate absorption
down for the length of time needed to explain what I experience (often 6- 8
hours after eating), but as they say YMMV.

<<<On  7 May 98 at 9:28, Vicki Parker McDonald wrote:

> I've only been pumping for 2 mos and have recently had this experience:
> Go to dinner late -- say between 8 and 9 p.m.  Have to confess dinner
> had some d**n good onion rings; nice and greasy, the way they should be.
> Bolused after eating, since I started out low and thinking I could cope
> with some of the delayed digestion.
> At 11:00 p.m. (ready for bed) test blood sugar:  98 -- perfect.  Go to
> sleep, wake up c. 4:00 a.m. feeling like crap.  Test blood sugar:  306.
> My basals are now pretty well set and if I eat normal healthy food and
> go to bed with an acceptable blood sugar, I will wake up with an
> acceptable blood sugar (or even a tiny bit low).
> I think in a case like this I need to usse my square waave bolus, but
> I'm not sure.  Do you program it to give more insulin than normal?  I
> was thrilled to get a 98 after dinner out, but now I know it will
> probably rise significantly overnight.  Can't bolus extra at 11:00 or
> I'll be hypoglycemic by midnight.  Advice?

The good greasy onion rings are probably the culprit.  They contain
lots of carbohydrate, but the fat slows down the absorption.  When I
eat a bloomin' onion at the Outback I generally take enough insulin
to cover the meal but I split the bolus - about half before the meal
and then about an hour late the rest in a 2 hour square wave bolus.
It seems to take care of the problem, but I still test often during
the interval...
Randall Winchester>>>

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.