Re: [IP] Is this when I need the square wave bolus?

On  7 May 98 at 9:28, Vicki Parker McDonald wrote:

> I've only been pumping for 2 mos and have recently had this experience:
> Go to dinner late -- say between 8 and 9 p.m.  Have to confess dinner
> had some d**n good onion rings; nice and greasy, the way they should be.
> Bolused after eating, since I started out low and thinking I could cope
> with some of the delayed digestion.
> At 11:00 p.m. (ready for bed) test blood sugar:  98 -- perfect.  Go to
> sleep, wake up c. 4:00 a.m. feeling like crap.  Test blood sugar:  306.
> My basals are now pretty well set and if I eat normal healthy food and
> go to bed with an acceptable blood sugar, I will wake up with an
> acceptable blood sugar (or even a tiny bit low).
> I think in a case like this I need to usse my square waave bolus, but
> I'm not sure.  Do you program it to give more insulin than normal?  I
> was thrilled to get a 98 after dinner out, but now I know it will
> probably rise significantly overnight.  Can't bolus extra at 11:00 or
> I'll be hypoglycemic by midnight.  Advice?

The good greasy onion rings are probably the culprit.  They contain
lots of carbohydrate, but the fat slows down the absorption.  When I
eat a bloomin' onion at the Outback I generally take enough insulin
to cover the meal but I split the bolus - about half before the meal
and then about an hour late the rest in a 2 hour square wave bolus.
It seems to take care of the problem, but I still test often during
the interval...

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message