Re: [IP] zero to DKA in nothin' flat?

>  I worry
> about the cost of the supplies for years and years and also, 4 years
> just isn't long enough for a pump warranty!  Not when it has to last a
> lifetime!  I can see we'll be spending another $5,000 before we know
> it!  Thank goodness for insurance now but this will come out of our
> pocket when Kristina reaches college age unless she stays home with us
> to go to college!  Lots of things to think about when deciding to get a
> pump!

As for carb counting, after a few months you can do it by looking at
the food. You will know everything by heart and so will you daughter.

Granted, she was 11 then, but it only took her a few
days for her to figure out the rudimentries of carb counting.  It was
easy, " you want and ice cream sundae, figure out the carbs" with
incentive like that the learning process was almost instantaneous.
There are a zillion books full of carbo multipliers. They are easy to
use and every Type I diabetic should carb count whether they pump or
not. That is the only way you can maintain decent control.

 As a second point, how much would you be willing to pay to buy
her new kidneys or a new pair of eyes.  I hate to put it this way,
but it is the way I looked at it when I made the decision on behalf
of my daughter Lily. I don't want her to have the problems that
diabetics from prior generations must face as their bodies are
ravaged by the side effects of high blood sugars.

I will get off my soapbox now.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted