RE: [IP] Breakable resevoirs

Melissa:

This is unusual to say the least! It almost sounds as if there was a "flaw"
or weak spot in the plastic to begin with.

I remember when I used to break the ends off the disposable syringes, prior
to throwing them out. I think they were made of the same medical grade
plastic as the reservoirs, just a bit thinner. They took some real effort to
twist and break.  Sounds to me like this was just a freak occurrence. Was
the reservoir in the pump when it fell out of your daughter's pocket?

I'm sure you could break a Disetronic glass cartridge, but they appear
sturdy as well. I have dropped them on a hard desk surface during "refueling
operations", with no damage. Dropping it on the ground while playing would
be another story, though.

The metal "top" on the glass cartridge actually holds the plastic neck of
the cartridge in place. The plastic neck is the piece which connects to the
infusion set.

The Disetronic plastic cartridges appear to be made of the same type and
grade of plastic as the MiniMed reservoirs. I would have to agree with the
term "unbreakable". I can't see either one of them breaking in normal use.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted