[IP] RE: Implantable pump

Hi, Carolyn:

The information I quoted re: MiniMed not being able to recommend
implantation of the pump in children is from MiniMed's web site. This is a
direct quote from the information published there. The URL for this
reference is: http://www.minimed.com/files/mmn071.htm

I thought I understood the information correctly, but maybe not, if it is
contradicted by the info in the education manuals you referred to ;-)

I would be interested in seeing the information in the education manuals,
especially if it updates what is available on the web page.

I think this technology holds great promise and is an important step in
effectively dealing with this disease. I would much rather get my insulin to
where it's needed using a direct path. It takes too long to get there now.

Re: Disetronic's plan for the peritoneal catheter - yes, I did forget to
mention that surgery is required to implant the device in the liver. You do
raise an excellent point re: the importance of meticulous technique. This
will force many users to "re think" their current procedures. This very fact
(need for very sterile technique) is what made my doc nervous about the
implantable pump as well. Needless to say, when the details are worked out,
we should all start to see some benefits from all the new technology ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted