Re: [IP] Thanks for food scale info & update

Ruth:

Thanks for your post; it *was* reassuring!  I don't mind keys in my
pockets, and I frequently wear fanny-packs.

Can you find a spot on your waist, just behind the midline, where your pump
won't bother you when sitting?  I did, but your positioning must be quite
exact to keep from getting poked by the corners.

I'll get to find out about the tubing in two more days, when I'll be hooked
up with saline!  Hope it won't be too difficult an adjustment.  I just hope
I don't forget I'm wearing the pump when I get up in the middle of the
night to use the bathroom--since I sleep in the buff, I could end up
dragging it onto the floor, and something tells me that wouldn't feel too
good!  Maybe I'd better just get into the habit of putting on a robe with a
pocket first thing. . . .

--Laurel

Laurel,

If it is at all reassuring:  I'm all of almost 5'1" and find that wearing
my
keys (a set of 6-7, well, maybe 8) on a belt loop or in a pocket drives me
crazy after an hour or so.  I do occasionally find the pump annoying but it
is
mostly pretty innocuous.  Jeans or pants with pockets and an occasional
skirt
or dress cut right with pockets make it down right comfotable.  I can wear
it
on my waist band if the waist is low, otherwise it is fine walking but a
little
uncomforable sitting.   The limb things and velcro packs were not offered
as
options when I started so all these great alternatives are pretty recent to
me.  I've never had a pager but I imagine that it is not unlike carrying
one
around.  The tubing is not too much of an issue most of the time.

Best of luck

Ruth

Laurel & Wayne Sedgwick wrote:

> Thanks to all for the helpful info on food scales.  I settled on an
> inexpensive Ekco (from Walmart) because finances are currently very
tight.
> It seems to work fine, now that we have figured out how to zero it out.
>
> Eventually, I intend to get the Corinne Netzger carb-counting book (so
that
> I'll have a complete resource), but for now I have settled on a very
> slender booklet, which is actually for the Atkin's diet, but contains
very
> readable (and fairly complete) carb values.
>
> I was getting very nervous about the clothing problem (i.e., "Where am I
> going to put this thing?") over the weekend) and just generally stressed
> out about many things other than the pump, so I decided to put off my
start
> for a while till some stressors are removed (busy time at work, a very
hard
> class I'm taking, recovery from recent illness, etc.).  I want my pump
> start to be a good one.  I will do a set insertion and start pumping
saline
> beginning May 7; then insulin on May 15th.
>
> Have had lots of good ideas about the clothing situation since I first
> began to consider it.  I am not a person who will be able to tolerate
> elastic thingies around their limbs, but fortunately I am not esp.
> concerned about hiding the pump, either.  I plan to use a combination of
> velcro and/or a fanny pack or small over-shoulder bag (for clothing
without
> pockets), coupled with undoing the side-seams of clothing so that I don't
> have to run the tubing down and up to accomodate stuffed-in shirts.  If
you
> are like me, and teased about being like the princess in "Princess and
the
> Pea," let's get together and swap ideas.
>
> Hope to be able to write individual responses to all the wonderful
> reassurances I've received, but I'm not a very good correspondent.  Too
> d**m busy and not enough energy (maybe the pump will change that).
Wanted

to the e-mail address: email @ redacted