Re: [IP] Price of Humalog

Sam Skopp wrote:
> The idea of keeping the Humalog in the refrigerator sounds like a good idea.
> Are there any negatives to doing this way?
> My CDE wants me to change the reservoir each time I change infusion sets. She
> says that there is more of risk of infection and other site irritation
> problems
> if you re-use them. However, I see other people using them for much longer
> periods. Has there been any studies on this (especially in reference to the
> use
> of Humalog)?

Sounds like the normal message from professionals. I disagree with it based on
my experience. I took shots for ~37.5 years, and have been pumping for ~4.5.
I've been re-using the "disposables" since the late '60's, and have ALWAYS
reused the reservoirs in my MiniMed pump. Never had a problem with them.

I rthink the real question is whether or not somebody is infection prone, not
ONLY because they're a diabetic. Anyway, anything that is holding insulin
has a pretty strong defense system: the cresol they use as an antiseptic in
insulin kills off germs like nothing else does, so the reservoir is likely
the least thing to worry about for infections.

Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted