Re: [IP] zero to DKA in nothin' flat?

email @ redacted writes:

<< , and I could tell she was trying to
 discourage us from considering it right now.  She talked about how fast
 you can go into DKA on the pump, and said that it does happen, even with
 those who are meticulous (I think that statement was for our benefit, as
 she knows how meticulous I am).  I would like to know just how fast this
 can actually happen.  For instance, let's say she goes to bed and >>
With Velosulin running in the pump, Bg's can be on the way up in 3 hours if
there is no delivery...with Humalog, they will be rising in about 2 hours.
Always check for ketones in the urine for BG's 240 times 2 in a row with no
identifiable reason for the rise, ie., forgetting to bolus for food, signs and
symptoms of an illness, under bolusing for a large meal, a crack in the
syringe, a loose cannula, or the needle or catheter has slipped out of the
insertion site,or an empty syringe. The troubleshooting guidelines are in both
pump manuals and in Pumping Insulin.  Trace ketones can mean that you just ran
out of insulin, small ketones...you may have been without delivery for 1 hour,
moderate... about 2 hours,  large..about 3-4 hours.  This scenario may differ
for individuals.  Sorry the explanation is so long.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted