Re: [IP] Choose by color?

On  4 May 98 at 16:51, Raillfan wrote:

> Choosing a pump because of the color??? I Chose the Disetronic because it
> seems to be of a more durable and rugged design (I did not like the battery
> door on the Minimed), plus the Disetronic is water proof!!! (the Minimed I
> believe is just resistant).All you have to do is put the cap on top of the
> cartridge cap to plug the two pressure equalization holes. I went Snorkling in
> the Carribean for 3 hours straight with my pump. And even if you forget to put
> the cap on, or lose it the worst that might happen is water would possibly mix
> in with the insulin, it still won't get inside the pump unless you have one or
> both of the batteries missing.

I've heard someone at one of the local meetings talk about frying
their D pump when they dropped it in the toilet.  Seems they forgot
to put the cap on first.  A couple of other people I know have
dropped their 507's in the lake and not had any problems with it.
 Just rinse it off,  dry the lead screw off and away you go.

I'm confused about "battery door" - the 507 has a battery compartment
that opens with a coin and the holder containg the three little
batteries pops out.  This compartment is sealed with an O-ring for
water resistance too...

> And to answer WM's question, yes the Disetronic has an audio bolus, it beeps
> each time you push the button, then it repeats the beeps back before it
> delivers so you can count them again and double check yourself.
> Scooter

One of the interesting differences is that the D pump uses an
unmarked cartridge that you fill and if you get it right the pump can
sort of tell you how much insulin you have left.  On the MM pump you
just read it directly off the syringe markings.

The cosmetic or appearance thing is important to a lot of people and
on that count the MiniMed seems to win.   On the Disetronic web site
there was a posting a while back warning people not to fly with the
cap on their pump because it caused problems.

Lots of features on both pumps and you have to decide which ones are
important to you.  I went with MiniMed for several reasons and other
people choose the Disetronic pump.  The constant claim of waterproof
(if you put the cap on first) is wearing a little though... If I had
one of those I'd never have the cap with me when I needed it...   The
bottom line comes down to a few questions:

1. Do you understand how the pump operates?
2. Does it do what you want it to?
3. Does your doctor have a clue about how the pump works?
4. Which one do you like better?

On items 1 & 2 the pumps are basically equivalent.  On item 3 we've
discussed many times how some medical professionals are, so we don't
have to visit that again.  Either the doctor does or doesn't, and
your milage will vary.

Item 4 is an individual question, and people can argue both sides and
not get anywhere.  It boils down to a lot of things, including how
you were introduced to that pump, who else you know that uses one,
what your relationship with the rep, trainer, CDE and other
influences are, and sometimes even just a plain old emotional
response to the physical appearance of the pump.    The first insulin
pump I ever saw was one of those big, heavy electro-mechanical
devices with nicads that you had to carry with a shoulder strap
and change the batteries constantly...  and my reaction to that thing
caused me to shy away from an insulin pump for a long time...
Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted