Re: [IP] Re:Wasted insulin

In a message dated 5/2/98 10:18:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< We only refrigerate unused bottles of insulin.  Once opened, we keep it at
 room temperature and are careful to not leave it in a hot car or out in the
 sun.  We can usually get about a month and a half of good use out of the
 Humalog.  I found the NPH lasts longer, but replace it at the same time as
 H to avoid confusion.  We used to keep the insulin refrigerated because we
 thought it would last longer, but found we only got about another week or two
 out of it.  And the cold injections hurt Kayla, so we keep it room-
 now.  Some people can get a few months out of one bottle, but Kayla's numbers
 start climbing after 1 1/2 months or so.

There are 1000 units of insulin in a bottle.  I take less than 25 units a day,
so technically, a bottle would last me more than 40 days.  Back when I was on
MDI and using a combo of R and NPH, I suspect I was changing to new bottles
every 2 to 3 months.  I never really kept track.  I always kept them in the
frig. and they seemed to hold potency OK. Every once in awhile, I could feel
the coldness of the injection, though.  Now that I am using a mix in my pump,
I suppose I will be going through the bottles a little slower too.

As I was reading your comments above, a thought occured to me... would it be
possible for you to "pre-draw" Kayla's insulin on a daily basis?  Thus
allowing her shots to come to room temperature, but keeping the bottles in the
frig?? Or are the amounts of her doses too variable?  Another thing you might
try would be to gently warm the insulin bottles by holding them in LUKEWARM
water for a minute or so.  This would take the chill off.  This is a technique
I use when I have to fill my pump "in a hurry" and don't have time to let the
insulin sit out on the counter to warm up.  If you try this, make sure the
water isn't hot, you don't want to destroy the insulin!

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted