Re: [IP] mary tyler moore( Dear Sara)

URTAsef wrote:

> Did anyone else see last weeks EXAMINER with Mary Tyler Moore on the cover
> looking like death warmed over?  Well, knowing she has diabetes, I picked it
> up when i saw the headline, MTM BEING RAVAGED BY DEADLY DISEASE or something
> like that.
>
> The article was replete with errors - I cant remember exactly what it said but
> it did call out 2 kinds of diabetes though it used names I hadn't heard of
> before.  Then it went on to talk about her life threatening duel with diabetes
> and how she was suffering from periodic bouts of blindness and struggling to
> keep herself alive.  It had some horrible pictures of her, and it looked like
> they had retouched her eyes to make them even more bleary and red than they
> might have been following laser.
>
> I was really angry about this.  I love Mary Tyler Moore, always have, and then
> when i found out she had diabetes, I liked her even more!  The facts in the
> story were wrong, it made it sound like she was dying from this DREADED
> disease...Now I know this was a trash rag, sensationalizing for the $$$, but
> why can't we find a celebrity like the paraplegics have?  We need a
> Christopher Reeve to make having diabetes OK with the rest of the world!  We
> need a role model on some famous tv show.  Hey, Phoebe on FRIENDS should have
> developed diabetes during her pregnancy...or Claudia on PARTY OF FIVE would be
> great - she is right at that popular age for TV watchers.  Give her her own
> crisis to deal with now that Charlies cancer is in remission...sigh.
>
> Sara
> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted

  Dear Sara,
I wrote to MTM a few years after I found out I had diabetes telling her how I got
it, during my pregnancy which is how she got it, and asking her for advice.  She
seemed pretty cold and didn't want to give me any insight on how to prevent
complications.  She seemed to be having a pretty rough time with it.  I think she
didn't take care of herself when she first got it from pregnacy many years ago.  I
know of one kids TV show called Baby Sitter Club, my kids watch which has a
character on it who has diabetes.  We watched one show which focused on it and how
she tried to deny it by not watching what she ate and therefore ended up in the
hospital.  It was a little extreme but in the end her friends were there for her.
My kids learned something from it too.
   I hope this helps you.
Marilyn