Re: [IP] mary tyler moore

URTAsef wrote:
> Did anyone else see last weeks EXAMINER with Mary Tyler Moore on the cover
> looking like death warmed over?  Well, knowing she has diabetes, I picked it
> up when i saw the headline, MTM BEING RAVAGED BY DEADLY DISEASE or something
> like that.
> The article was replete with errors - I cant remember exactly what it said but
> it did call out 2 kinds of diabetes though it used names I hadn't heard of
> before.  Then it went on to talk about her life threatening duel with diabetes
> and how she was suffering from periodic bouts of blindness and struggling to
> keep herself alive.  It had some horrible pictures of her, and it looked like
> they had retouched her eyes to make them even more bleary and red than they
> might have been following laser.
> I was really angry about this.  I love Mary Tyler Moore, always have, and then
> when i found out she had diabetes, I liked her even more!  The facts in the
> story were wrong, it made it sound like she was dying from this DREADED
> disease...Now I know this was a trash rag, sensationalizing for the $$$, but
> why can't we find a celebrity like the paraplegics have?  We need a
> Christopher Reeve to make having diabetes OK with the rest of the world!  We
> need a role model on some famous tv show.  Hey, Phoebe on FRIENDS should have
> developed diabetes during her pregnancy...or Claudia on PARTY OF FIVE would be
> great - she is right at that popular age for TV watchers.  Give her her own
> crisis to deal with now that Charlies cancer is in remission...sigh.
> Sara

Dear Sara (& Group):

I saw the post aboput Mary Tyler Moore, and I had to put my 2 cents in.

I've only seen ONE recurring TV character who is shown as being a
diabetic: Ed Asner's character on the CBS Monday comedy "THE CLOSER",
starring Tom Selleck. They mention it everytime the characters go to a
bar, or eat junk food ie.; "Don't give the diabetic (Asner) anything
from the candy machine." , to which he (Asner) replies: "I'll give
anyone here $5.00 for a quarter." I wonder if Mary could give him a few

I guess the TV and movie producers don't find diabetics as being a good
basis for starring characters. Except for the occasional Medical or
Police show where they have to get a diabetic treated in time, we don't
seem to exist.

I happen to be a Star Trek fan, and I remember a novel published by
Pocket Books where Dr. McCoy and Mr. Spock are escorting a young woman
who happens to have the 23rd Century version of diabetes, which the book
says was cured in the 21st Century. (Maybe we won't have long to wait!)

McCoy counsels the girl to take an active role in her treatment, and
work WITH the doctor, and NOT depend on others to take care of her. I
think that Bones would have made a good endo.

Amilcar Vazquez Jr., 934 Hardwick Avenue, Orlando, FL 32825-6639
mailto:email @ redacted (Off.) mailto:email @ redacted
http://www.sistemas.net (Off.) http://www.vazquez.net (Pers.)
ICQ:8907355 ICHAT:avazquez AOL AIM:AVazquez PAGOO:4078237733
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted