Re: [IP] re Kerry

> In responce to your first question about her bs, she was at 51 when we were

> this point her bs had dropped to 40.  Since this was the 5th hypo episode of
> the day, I decided to take her to the er for treatment rather than giving
> her another glucagon (she had a glucagon shot at approx 9:30am) for which

> from some early stage of liver diseasebecause of all the lows she has had
> (little to no glycogen storage).  They are going to be testing her for this

> It still is a challenge and the pump has had some benefits to her, but there

I might suggest that any conscious patient suffering hypo be treated with
straight glucose (or glucose tabs). This brings immediated results and
does not use up the body's glycogen stores. You can even treat someone
who is not conscious without too much difficulty with glucose gel
although I don't recommend it. I have been faced with both situations
with my daughter and the results are very quick - 10 to 15 minutes
maximum. Her endo confirms that the fastest way to get large amounts of
carbo into the body's system is oral glucose. It is much faster even than
an IV, which is all that the ER can provide - for that you have to wait
- and of course get lower.
To give an extreme example, little brother managed to pop the door of
Lily's 506 once with his foot (piggy back ride) and gave her a 90 unit
bolus. I did take  4 or 5 hours to straighten out, but she ate about
half a large bottle (25 tabs) of glucose over that period of time and
was fine. Her bg's hoovered around 80 most of the time (we were targeting
for 150) and got down to 40 once. I am not making light of the situation,
it was very serious. But quick intervention and the addition of the fuel
the body needs (glucose) in each situation prevented problems from
developing further. I hope this may be of some help to you.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted