Pumping in BC, Canada (was [IP] Pumping in the UK!)

When I got my pump 13 years ago, the attitude I encountered from the
endocrinologists I met was that pumps would soon become the main way of
treating Type 1.  Getting a pump was not considered to be strange or
"experimental" and at that time (late 1984), a boom in pump use was seen to
be just around the corner (along with implantable pumps and non-invasive

However, it seems like that expected boom never came and pumps seem to have
slipped away from the diabetes mainstream here.  Now when I see doctors,
the pump is considered daring and controversial.  When I say I have used it
for 13 years, mouths drop open.  The only people I know in Canada on the
pump are on this list.  I have been out of things for a while and moved to
a new, larger city last year and haven't had much success finding local
resources (all geared to type 2) but even the Canadian Diabetes Association
seems to know very little about pumps - unfortunately that comes as no
surprise to me since their idea of education and my idea of education are
very far apart.

My foray into finding an endocrinologist here, in the third largest city in
Canada, has so far yielded one who doesn't believe in pumps and one who
firmly believes in one basal rate, despite lots of blood sugars proving
that for me, one basal rate doesn't cut it.  And these were both
recommended to me as top in their fields, by MiniMed and other sources.

What is my point?  I don't know.  But I think that pumps, which are the
most logical choice in dealing with type 1, should be much more prevalent
and I wonder why they aren't.  What it comes down to for me is, I have
learned more from this group than I have from the many endocrinologists
that I have seen.

This could be BC, this could be the doctors I have seen, or this could be
me.  I would like to know what it is like in the rest of Canada.

John Neale wrote:
>In Germany pumps are even more popular than in the US. I know a girl
>with an implanted insulin pump. It was a 'standard' operation. It's
>still 'experimental' in the US. She has a remote-control unit, and has
>it refilled every 3 months.
>In Britain the early pumps were very unpopular, and it never really took
>off. I do know that diabetic complications are much rarer in Britain
>than in the US. Because good free healthcare is guaranteed to all,
>there's less money spent on fancy gadgets, and more spent checking that
>everyone is getting the basics right. Perhaps there's a lesson there.
>mailto:email @ redacted

Vancouver, BC, Canada

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted