Re: [IP] Your experience with t-slim or Medtronic

Hi Julie,
I wore a Medtronic pump for 13 years, and it was fine. I also had great
customer service the vast majority of the time.
But recently my warranty was almost up, and it was time to decide whether
to stay with Medtronic and try the 670, or switch to Tandem X2. I drove
myself nuts for a couple of months, reviewing the features of both. (By the
way, I also wear the Dexcom G6 sensor)
I ended up choosing the Tandem, and I LOVE IT. I definitely made the right
choice for myself. Here's why I love it:

   - whenever there is an upgrade to this pump, I can get a prescription
   for it, and just download the new features from my computer. So I don't
   have to wait years for my warranty to be up to get the latest technology.
   - it's much smaller and more comfortable than the 670.
   - It has a color screen, easy to read.
   - very easy to learn how to navigate through the menus. touch screen is
   great.
   - there is a computer keypad in it, so you can enter your carbs from
   various foods and it will add it up for you. Kind of nice!
   - the Basal IQ technology has been awesome. It silently turns off 30
   minutes ahead of an impending low, with no alarms or interruptions.(because
   I turned the alarms off.)  As soon as my BG is steady again, it turns right
   back on. It can go on and off all night, and keep my BG in normal range. SO
   GREAT!
   - I use the Autosoft 30 insertion set. It has a small window where the
   tube inserts, so you can actually see if the insertion site looks good, or
   if it's bleeding, etc. (I've had this pump for nearly 4 months, and so far,
   no problems with insertion.)
   - I find the insertion to be almost pain-free, more so than the
   Medtronic Quick Sets were for me. I'm also using an angled cannula now,
   which is working out well.
   - Apparently, the Control IQ feature is supposed to launch at the end of
   summer. (Who knows, right?!) But when it does, it will be doing what the
   Medtronic 670 does, but in what seems to me to be a quieter, lower
   maintenance way.

The only thing that takes some getting used to, is that it takes a bit
longer, and is a bit more involved to refill and move the Tandem. But once
you get the hang of it, it's really no big deal.

I did have some issues in the very first month, getting the Dexcom and pump
to work together correctly. (Long story, but ultimately, waiting 15 minutes
after removing the Dexcom transmitter every 10 days, and then inserting the
new one solved the problem.)

Also, so far, I have found the Tandem helpline to be a bit less friendly
than the Medtronic helpline was. They're ok, some are better than others,
but just don't seem as happy to help as Medtronic seemed to be, in my
opinion.
There are also long wait times sometimes. But they do give you the option
to leave your number and they will call you back when it's your turn.

I hope this helps, and that you end up loving whatever you decide to pick.
Good luck!
Sharon K.