Re: [IP] Highs and the ER

The few times I have been in a ER, I have found that most don't know a h***
of beans about diabetes and even less about pumps.  I remember one
particular time my husband called 911 because I passed out in the middle of
the night when I woke up with severe back pain.
They tested by BG and it was within acceptable range, even in the mid
100's.  They told me to shut my pump off because it seemed too high.  I did
so.  They did a bunch of tests, except the BG again until I asked.  By that
time it was in the 300's. Never did they suggest insulin.  Finally, I told
my husband to hook me back to the pump as I could hardly move.  I never did
find out what my diagnosis was, except that it was not a stroke.

That particular hospital does not have an endocrinology department.  They
just have endocrinologists they call on rotation.  One was never called.
In my opinion ER's are  not equipped for hidden diseases like diabetes.  A
gash, maybe, but investigative work, not. I told my husband I will not go
to the ER again.  Most emergencies for diabetes, we know how to take care
of.