[IP] I tested this yesterday: Disconnecting Pump for takeoff and landing

After reading this interesting thread, I wanted to investigate this on my
1.5 hour flight last night.

I disconnected my Minimed Pump from my body before takeoff, put it in
Suspend and watched what happened.

After take off, very slowly... a drop of insulin started forming (getting
pushed out of the tubing and needle)
this kept going on for a most of the flight until we started landing (since
it was a short flight).

This is where is gets interesting: as we lowered altitude, an air bubble
started forming at the end of the tube (next to the needle).
By the time I had landed, the air bubble was over 1.5 inches long! I had to
Fill Canula with 1.0 units to push the air bubble out!

So I would definitely NOT disconnect, for the simple reason that if I
hadn't gotten rid of the air bubble, I would have injected 1.0 units of air
after reconnecting!
Whereas by having it connected to my body during landing, that air bubble
does not appear (the pressure doesn't suck air from your body into the
tubing! :-)

Although at takeoff you might end up with a temp basal of 200% or
something, since you're stuck in your seat not being very active... I don't
think that's an issue. My numbers are usually higher on flights anyway.

Anyway... just wanted to report on my little experiment, it's only 1 data
point of course!

---Firas