[IP] Medicare, Medtronic and the pathway program.

My Medtronic pump is almost 4 years old, and I just called Medtronic to
inquire about the pathway upgrade program. Now that I have the facts
straight, I thought I should document them for other insulin pumper members.

Medtronic will let me use the pathway program to upgrade my pump to the new
530 G provided I complete the process earlier than 3 years and 9 months
after I purchased the pump. (As it happens, I called in the last month of
eligibility). My cost is $700, with $300 back when I return my old pump.

I had purchased a continuous blood glucose monitor with my current pump. I
was told that I would still have to purchase a transmitter and sensors for
my new pump if I wanted to use them, since Medicare does not cover those
items.

For those people who are not on Medicare, I get the impression that the
eligibility date for an upgrade is 2 years and 9 months. But don't hold me
to that!

Happy pumping. :-)

George