[IP] Re: Minimed mySentry Remote Monitor, not approved for use with 530G pump

Bob,

I have seen a demonstration of the mySentry at a support group meeting about
two years ago.  I know of one person who purchased one for his wife, whom he
described as a 'brittle' diabetic.  He likes the remote monitor and told me
that it has prevented 911 emergency calls.

I am surprised that it is not FDA approved for use with the 530G system.  I
don't know if it is possible to link the mySentry with a 530G insulin pump.
If possible, it would be an 'off label' use of the product.  I don't believe
that it has been a big seller, because it is overpriced and not covered by any
health insurance plan.  However, if it saves someone's life, then it is
priceless.  I would expect a closeout sale as it probably will be
discontinued.

I considered purchasing it but decided against it because of the cost.  I am
still here so I cannot say it would have saved my life or prevented an
emergency 911 call.  As you know, the alarms on all the Medtronic pumps are
not very loud.  Sometimes, I will wake up from the vibrations when I don't
hear the alarm.  It would be very beneficial for parents to monitor a sleeping
child in another room.

Jerry Smith