[IP] How my surgery went with my pump

The suggestions I got here on how to handle my pump during surgery were
great!  Thank you again!  Here is my experience with getting a hysterectomy
and a fair amount of reconstructive work done on my bladder.

A couple weeks before surgery, my body decided insulin was overrated and I
found myself using less and less insulin.  By the day of my surgery my
usual 24 hour basal rate had gone from 25 units to 9.  They let me drink
apple juice the morning of my surgery if needed.  Over a cup of juice and
my blood sugar was lower than when I woke up!  Maybe this was my body's way
of reacting to stress.

Diabetics are first in line for surgery so I was at the hospital at
6:30am.  The anesthesiologist told me to just suspend my pump during
surgery.  The nurse said they routinely check diabetic's blood sugars every
hour or so.  I told her to check every half hour and made sure they all
knew that I tended to go low very quickly.  They must have taken my advice
to heart because my poor fingers were all bruised when I woke up.  My BG
went down to 72 at it's lowest during the procedure and they had to give me
some glucose in my IV.  If you can use your own meter in the hospital
definitely do it!  The meter they used was the size of a paperback and used
about 1/4c of blood to test, ouch!

As soon as I woke up in recovery I turned my pump back on.  The staff
allowed my to use my own meter and control my own insulin use at my
discretion.  I told them what my BG readings were and what insulin I took
so they could enter it on my chart.  I also taped a small, very simple, set
of instructions to the back of my pump telling how to bolus and suspend.  I
showed my pump and the instructions to every new nurse while I stayed in
the hospital.  They all appreciated it but I was able to handle everything
on my own.

Everyone on staff was very supportive and helpful with my pump.  Now I am
back home and recovering.  My blood sugars are whacked out again and I'm
using a huge amount of insulin, but I test often and I'll get through it.
This was my first surgery and I'm definitely no expert.  Just wanted to
pass on my experiences.  :)

Yessi