Re: [IP] Dukan diet

You'd want to talk with your doctor before starting a plan like Atkins or
Dukan's (which I haven't heard of) since extra protein may be an issue if
you have kidney problems.

However, I've always believed that diabetes is a carbohydrate-intolerance
disease so I don't eat carbohydrates. I eat lots of veggies, of course,
which is where the few carbs I eat come from.

Insulin is a fat-storing hormone. The more carbs you eat, the more insulin
you require. If you're a triathelete or equally active, that might work
for you. I'm not, so when I added carbs back into my food plan several
years ago, I put on weight. Plenty of weight. More weight than I was
comfortable with.

I returned to the way I know works for me, and I've lost 60 pounds so far.
A few more to go but I'm much happier with where I am now. My labs are
still great, my A1C is great, despite the fact that I've had plenty of
lows while losing. I've knocked my TDD down from about 38 to 28, most of
which is basal.

I've never been a believer in "the pump lets me eat anything I want" or
"as long as I count the carbs, I can eat anything I want." Probably
old-school thinking but it works for me.  : )

Valerie