[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V11 #781 - Anngela Blakeley - Infusion Sets

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Anngela Blakeley
<email @ redacted>
[IP] Infusion sets
This is going to be a stupid question but I
want to make sure I have the answer
correct. On an infusion
set pkg it will usually say 6mm, 9mm or some other number. Is
the length of the needle? Or is it the width or something else? I dont
think I ever really paid that much attention to the number but recently I
that I have 2 boxes of 6mm sets and they dont seem to be
working for me.
Answer to Anngela Blakeley
 No question is stupid here! 6 mm / 8 mm is the length of the cannula that goes
under your skin. I use 8 mm because I'm plump, but for some people who are not,
they would find 8 mm too long, as they'd be hitting muscles, etc. so they use 6
mm. I know I had been given some samples of infusion sets that were 5.5 mm depth
cannula's by Diabetes Depot (samples) - they didn't work for me (stung when
infusing insulin and could only leave in for no more then 2 days due to
irritation). Sadly they've never sent me the samples of longer depth I'd
requested (guess I should write to them - as this was back in December - have
moved onto different stainless steel cannula's for now - can't use teflon due to
irritation issues).
Hope this helps answer your question! :)
Anna aka FatCatAnna at http://www.diabetes1.org/blogs/Annas_Blog