Re: [IP] Apidra?

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Dave Guyer wrote:

> I agree, although my 300ml only lasts about a week.  I'm not sure that
> the brand of insulin really matters for site longevity, but I believe a
> change in insulin is good advice.  I also believe that Apidra gives best
> control, but there's so much YMMV involved.  It does work for me.
>
> Tom Bell wrote:
> > I've been using Apidra since the trials and I leave my 300 reservoir
> > in for about a week and a half each time, I've never had a issue with
> > effectiveness of Apidra I love it, very stable.
> >
> > On Mar 28, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Loree Bailey wrote:
> >>
> >> I have used Novo-Rapid for a few years in my Animas pump.  Over the
> >> last few months I can't get more than 1.5 days out of a site and this
> >> is making me crazy-and broke!
> >> My endo suggested Apidra and said this might help.  Anyone have any
> >> experience/information??
> >> Thanks so much!

data collected over the years by IP suggests that around 5-6% of
insulin-analog users exhibit a "sensitivity" to ONE of the analogs that
manifests itself as one or all of poor short term control, site loss,
redness, bumps at the site, etc... On changing vendors, they typically can
see all of the above go away AND a significant decrease in TDD. i.e. Lily
switched to Novalog and saw a 30% decrease in her TDD immediately. Others
have reported similar as well as smaller changes. Most people see very
little change at all, however if you fall in the 6% for a particular
vendor, there can be big differences.

Basically this is one of the "not broken, don't fix it" sort of things.
Changing insulin-analogs for most people probably won't make a difference
but for a few it will open pandora's box.

Michael