Re: [IP] Grizzly Bears and Insulin . . .

A friend whose husband works for the National Park Service (not stationed at
Yellowstone) responded to my query on this issue with a few suggestions.
They include:

1) If had to guess, I think any odor could attract attention, but not
necessarily an attack.  Quick search found this:
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/menstruation_data.html.  Seems extremely
unlikely, but I understand wanting to take precautions!

2) Another thought:  I am thinking of backcountry backpacking... a group
camp might be safer since bears are discouraged or removed if they get
"humanized".   (check reports of bear activity, Ranger in-service on
surviving a bear attack, check trail logs, noisemaker, bear proof food, etc)

3) We follow the rules to the letter, including having a cooking area
separate from camp, using bear poles( they are provided in the backcountry),
changing clothes you cook in, putting all clothes/food/personal effects in
our backpacks, which we hoist up the bear pole every evening.

I have also put this question to a few other friends who are knowledgeable
about back country camping so if I hear anything else I will forward it on.
Also, the following looks like a useful site for Yellowstone and bears.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/campw_bears.html

Bottom line, I don't have a definitive answer and I'm thinking one isn't
likely to be found. Care, common sense, and respect for your surroundings
sound like the best advice. This has been a very interesting thread.

Sally