RE: [IP] Surgery for Type 2 Diabetes.

John Wrote:
This URL looks at Leucine as a muscle builder. They would take it as
a supplement not deprive the body of it. Somebody is not right, guess
who? THE
SITE SELLS ALL KINDS OF SUPPLEMENTS.

Leucine is commonly found in meat, which makes sense since it has a
role in protein synthesis. However, it is also found in many grains,
eggs, soybeans
and leafy vegetables.

Ricardo Responds:
Many bodybuilders use protein shakes with the essential and non-
essential amino acids. The thinking is that ingesting amino acids
will build muscle, but this is only true when coupled with resistance
exercise. Some level of leucine is also needed to just maintain muscle.

For fat loss, my speculation is that the leucine levels acts as a
thermostat to help spare muscle tissue. In a calorie deficient diet,
the body will always prefer to spare muscle (including the heart) as
opposed to using muscle for energy. Per the study, in a leucine
deficient diet the body preferentially draws its energy needs from
fat stores, which they term the starvation response. Sparing muscle
and drawing from the more energy dense body fat would be a good thing
in the feast or famine cycles our ancestors lived through.

A while back on IP, we had a thread where several members said that
no matter how much they counted and restricted calories, they were
unable to lose weight. This study suggests a possibility that for
"some" people successful weight loss is about more than just calorie
restriction.