RE: [IP] Pregnant...pumping...and worried

Hi Jennifer,
 I just read your message and wanted to reply. I know how you feel! I am now 23
weeks pregnant--with my first child. I had done alot of reading on the topic and
was prepared knowing that shortly after conceiving BGs usually go wild--on the
high end. That was actually my first sign that clued me in to the fact that I
was pregnant. Around 4-5 weeks after conceiving I my BGs started shooting up
into the upper 100s and 200s and I was increasing my basal rates (using my
temporary basal setting) by 20%-50% which was alot for me.
 I was already testing at least 10 times/day which helped stay on top of things
so I just kept testing at least that much daily and adjusted my basals as
needed. As I understand it from many knowledgeable folks on this site as well as
my endo, a high for a couple or few hours will not do any harm to you or your
developing fetus.
 I also was worried about harming my developing fetus in those early days but
any time I had a high I was correcting it immediately which kept my A1c 5.3! I
was quite surprised. My A1cs are still in the low 5s (5.2) and all seems to be
going and growing well:-)
 Then around 12 weeks my insulin requirements took a nose dive so we started
reducing my basals and I have been there ever since:-) I think I am ending that
phase and starting to go back up in my basal requirements--just in the past week
or two. I just test, test, test:-) I can't hurt! Only help.
 By the way, I never heard that the 1st trimester was suppose to be easy! I've
had alot more "ease" if I can even use that term:-) in the 2nd trimester. I just
figure I must stay constantly vigilant--that helps make it easier.
Good Luck and stay in touch!
--janet (Dx @ age 3, 8/78; pumping H-tron+ since 6/00)