Re: [IP] do you use alcohol and i.v. prep?

Hi Jonelle,

You wrote:
> When you do a site change, do you feel that it is necessary to wipe
> the area with alcohol first, and then with i.v. prep?

I use neither. I clean my skin with soap and water, let it dry, and
perform the site change.

Alcohol swabs are _not_ considered to be a more effective skin
disinfectant than soap and water.(1) I.V. prep may have certain
advantages with respect to adhesion, but I don't need "notions,
lotions and potions" to keep my cannula in place. YMMV.

For decades, I used alcohol pads before every insulin injection. Then
I moved overseas, where alcohol pads aren't easily found. When I asked
my doctor why they weren't available, he wondered why I thought I
needed them to prepare an injection site. I stopped using them and
never noticed a difference, neither with injection sites, nor, for
that matter, with infusion sites. I still keep a supply on hand, since
they're useful when traveling. If my hands are dirty when I need to
test my bg and there's no soap and water available, an alcohol pad
comes in very handy to clean my fingertips.

regards, Andy (Type 1 for over 30 years; pumping for over 3)

1. Boyce & Pittet, "Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care
Settings", http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5116a1.htm

  "Because alcohol-impregnated towelettes contain a limited amount of
   alcohol, their effectiveness is comparable to that of soap and