Re: [IP] test scores when low

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:23:31 -0500, Marisa wrote:
 >Absolutely she should be allowed to make up the test.  And absolutely
 >should be told that exceptions CAN be made based on her blood sugars.
 >blood glucose is low, the brain is literally being starved.  Therefore,
 >canNOT show what she truly knows about any given subject matter.  High
 >low blood glucose levels affect function.  It's a fact.  This is not to
 >that she can skip a test just because she doesn't feel like taking it.
 >if she has a quantifiable reason to delay testing, such as a low or high
 >blood glucose reading on her glucometer, she should be allowed to do so.
 >Many students have provisions for bg testing and academic testing
 >into their 504s.

I definitely agree about the lows, but I have my doubts about the highs.
It's been a long time since I was in school, and that was before there
was any BG test equipment. I was dx when I was 10 and had to rely
entirely on urine tests. As a result I was nearly always high, spilling
lots of sugar in my urine (BG > renal threshhold, and I think mine is
normal). There were never any provisions for postponing a test because
of a 4+ urine test. Nevertheless, when I graduated from HS I ranked 8
out of 530, and when I graduated from college I got my degree with high
honors. So I think there may be too much concern about the **short
term** effects of highs. But YMMV.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000