[IP] test scores when low

email @ redacted writes:
>My daughter (age 8) took a math test this morning while she was low and
>couldn't concentrate.  She went to the office to check after the test and
>was in the 50's.  She ended up getting six problems wrong on the test and
>was very upset about it.  She had been studying her times tables all week
>and was very prepared for the test.  Here's my question:  Do I expect the
>teacher to let her do a make-up test?  I don't want my daughter to think
>exceptions can be made based on her blood sugars.  I also realize this type
>of thing can happen on future tests and don't want her diabetes to become an
>excuse for poor grades.  How have any of you handled this situation?
>Thanks. Barb Dame

  A child should not be penalized for there diabetes. If she really studied hard
and was prepared to do well, why should a low blood sugar dash all of her
preparation? I think it would only be fair for her to be allowed to retest. If
the school
 allows this they should be able to know with confidence that your daughter will
always be honest about her blood sugars and how they are affecting her school
work. If they question it you always have the bg test at the nurses office.
  The effect that blood sugar has on academic performance is an area of diabetes
that is beginning to gain recognition. When I was a kid ('80-90s) people did not
even seem to be aware of how this could be a factor. Now at the college level I
 seen a really academic boost from going on the pump and reducing my number of
lows. Blood sugar can be a real and significant academic factor and needs to be
more widely recognized, because it can be so easily overlooked. When I was in
the 8th
 grade I suddenly started having a lot of trouble in school, at the same time by
bgs became wild no matter what we did. My mom commented that I always managed to
cause two problems at once. I was tested as having learning disabilities (if i
 refrained from using spell check you would already know)! I failed every class
that year, if the school had not seen how hard I was trying they would not have
let me continue to high school the next year. When I was at the Endo that year
my mother
 mentioned my sudden academic troubles to the CDE. Unfortunately her only
response was to make fun of me and call me names for the next 45minets, while I
came close to passing out from a low. I still have the Joslin paper work form my
A1c taken at
 that visit, it was 10.3, the highest I ever had. On the side the Dr wrote in
"Good work, try to avoid the lows". My point is that diabetes can really impact
a child's education, people need to understand this and not just label the child
as slow,
 that won't help. For this reason parents, Endos, and teachers owe it to the
child to work to keep there bgs as stable as possible both in school at out. I
now carry a meter with me in to every test to be sure that I am at my best, and
take a bg
before I start the exam.