[IP] Re: A1c and Malingering

On Friday, March 28, 2003, Rachel Keeler" <email @ redacted

> even though I have never and would never
> report false readings to my doctors, I am very bad about writing down
> my blood
> sugars, and often will go weeks at a a time without writing them down,
> and then
> will just go into my meter and get all of the old readings out and
> write them
> down on logs. In the old days, I would sometimes do this and use a
> bunch of
> different pens when writing them all down

LOL   I use a 24/7 calendar as my log (I write down LOTS of things, but
I leave it at home, so sometimes am copying into it from meter or pump
memory).  When I am going to be discussing things with the doctor or
CDE, I sometimes transcribe some of these things (like the bg and
insulin, total carb, length of exercise) usually onto a copy of the
chart in the back of the 2nd Pumping Insulin book.  There are a lot of
cross-outs in my  calendar, from writing the wrong number, or in the
wrong place, etc. -- and lots of stains <gr.>.  For someone else's
serious scrutiny, I always figure that neatness will actually help, and
my many abbreviations, bad hand writing, and mention of things that are
none of their business will just confuse them.  And I think I've gotten
my current doctor to understand that this is the information  it is
pertinent to evaluate for changes in my treatment.  I don't include
days where I had done something like going to an Italian wedding and
guessing boluses (except maybe sometimes if I was just really, really
successful at it <gr.>), or did something else it is not worth figuring
out how to handle again.  I also don't include specific data on days
when I am in a deep depression or something that keeps me from taking
adequate  control of the things I know how to do, but just wasn't
doing, although I will mention that they have been occurring if there
are many of them.  But that is a different issue, and it isn't
pertinent to look at them when evaluating basals and boluses. (Though
perhaps sometimes pertinent to look at for other reasons <gr.>)

So how these techniques will transfer to downloaded data has been
bothering me.  I notice on my new BD Logic meter that I can "mark"
readings that I don't want to be included in data, but it looks like I
have to do it right at the time of testing -- I think that is true on
most meters that have that feature?
Maybe I am just going to have to figure out how to write my own program
to display the data I want to display <gr.>.  The doctor's welcome to
look at it all, just not to use it to make changes in my basals or
boluses <gr.>.

Linda Z