Re: [IP] Carb Counting evolution

Len shared:
-- my mother stopped by, yesterday
i was discussing carb counting, which, for me, is a
relatively new concept...
she had some kind of (divide calories by 4 kind of
thing) (or something like that),
she DID count CALORIES (i did say calories, not
in the 50's.... and, for the most part, today, she
gets, DARN CLOSE, if not  RIGHT ON.....

Len's mother was dividing the calories known by the
number of calories per gram (for carbs & protein only)
to arrive at the number of grams (or vice verse).
This has been a "diet trick" for decades.

That was the foundation that my mother taught me when
still using the calorie based exchange diet.  WAY WAY
back in the 70s I did a similar thing to find the
number of calories - by multiplying protein or carb
grams by 4 to find the number of calories.  (fat
calories are divided by 9 to get the grams).

I figured out quick that I could substitute one thing
for another without having to check a list somewhere.
It came in handy when I was out with friends after
school or on an overnight sleepover.

My physician also used a similar method beginning in
the late 70's early 80s. (I was in college by then).
I was on MDI by 1978 (I couldn't take NPH).  So, I was
counting something way back then.  I've never had a
very restricted diet because of those early lessons in
calorie / gram conversions & the on-the-fly use of
Reg.  But, then again it wasn't very fine-tuned back
then either.

And we're still learning!  Look at all the trouble we
have with Pizza! (Where's Ryan when you need him) :)

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?