[IP] Re: Carb Counting origin?

>>>Does anyone on this list and on a pump not count carbs?>>>

I fully trusted my pump pioneer doc when he began issuing pumps in '82. I'm
#7 in my area and there were only about 10,000 pumpers worldwide shortly
thereafter. We were on the cutting edge. Advances were made as well as
techniques and pump features improved. Endo did not keep us informed of
these happenings. He felt he taught us all he knew and that was about it. We
stayed on the exchange system and the same amount of insulin per meal at the
same time, etc. No correction boluses and we had one basal rate so that
wasn't easily adjusted.

June of '99 was the first time I heard about carb counting - from another
pumper at a Toastmasters conference. I listened in awe as I had no idea what
she was talking about. I asked endo why I wasn't carb counting? He said,
"Stick to the exchange system, it's easier."

So, after getting on the 'net and learning more about it, I have much more
freedom and I SWAG it. (Scientific Wild A** Guess). I hit it pretty well -
about as well as those who have to guess the carbs in a restaurant meal. I'm
old, tired, and hate to read manuals (VCR, TV, pump, PC, minivan,
dishwasher, washer, dryer, mixer, lawn mower, etc., etc., etc.) <vbg>

I guess some docs who aren't up on things just don't jump into the 21st
century so there are those who don't carb count. BTW, that endo got fired by
the Physician's Network 10/01. Another patient called me asking what I was
going to do about an endo. I said words like basal fasting, carb counting,
correction boluses, etc. and he had no idea what I was talking about. We all
pretty much trusted this guy. He is back in practice and some people are
back with him - he had only about 24-25 pumpers after two decades of Rx-ing

This is long because I wanted to give you an explanation as to what can
happen or why people do not carb count. (~_^)

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

You can count the seeds in one apple, but you cannot count the potential
apples in one seed.