Re: [IP] Update on our pumping experiences

At 03:13 PM 3/27/03, "jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>That's a major thought to keep in mind (treating DM differently) - some (not
>all) need to stay away from a restaurant in the beginning so they can see
>what's going on without adding something into the mix and they can't see the
>immediate picture. Time passes quickly and they'll be able eat every meal
>out soon and have it under their belts. (~_^)

While I also had a lot of trouble with restaurant meals in the early days
of pumping, I discovered that for me, it was not because of basal amounts
or even bolus ratios, but the fact that I was not able to "guesstimate" the
amount of carbs in the portion sizes in restaurants.  For example, I was
told that a potato that was "approximately the size of your fist" was about
15 grams of carb.  Well, I have quite large fists so my guesstimate was
very off.  What truly helped me to learn successful restaurant eating, was
to take different items that I generally eat in restaurants (baked
potatoes, spaghetti, etc.) and measure and weigh them at home to get an
idea of the actual carb amounts for the sizes.  This helped me to
"visually" guess portion sizes so much better.  After doing this, I was
much more successful with eating out.  YMMV.

dxd 1963, pumping 2000