Re: [IP] Update on our pumping experiences

Jan Hughey said:
I kept gail's end line citing pump beginnings in the
mid '80s. We had one basal rate then and not a lot of
features on the pumps as well. We forget what we went
through setting up these numbers and getting to the
numbers we *experientially* use today. Carb counting
didn't come along until '94. Newbies really can't be
compared to what we do now since we even started out
differently. What we know now we didn't know then. It
didn't happen overnight. (~_^)

I respond:

Not sure what your point here is Jan.  Can you help me
out?  Maybe you've underestimated my efforts at using
the pump?  I NEVER sit back on my laurels and assume I
have it mastered.  I am constantly testing (not just
BGs), implementing, testing again, tweaking, testing,
trying, and guessing.  Just when I think I have it
right - something changes.  The entire life with a
pump is about evolution.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Newbies really can't be
compared to what we do now since we even started out
differently. "

Every day I do the exact same thing that newbies do.
You and I (both veteran pumpers) have had to relearn
things that we *thought* were the end all be all.  So
you and I have had many starting over points along the

And it's even harder to teach an old dog new tricks.
Somehow we manage, don't we?  Bottom line for me is
that we all have things to learn and things to teach.
That's why we belong to this list-serve.  The friends
we make are just an added benefit!

-gail in denver
And if you're really curious about my life:

Do you Yahoo!?