Re: [IP] Update on our pumping experiences

Chris Saunders responded:
Therefore you already need to know all
the rates and how insulin affects your body at
different times of the day.

Not picking on you gail, but that was a great example

I jump back in:

I have pretty thick skin, Chris.  Never crossed my
mind that you were picking on me.

I think we are on the exact same page with this.  The
underlying piece of setting basals - is that they must
be set to your "normal" activity level.

Since my "normal" activity level is to play tennis
every day - then my basals should be calibrated
initially to that life-style.  On the days I do not
play tennis, I must be aware of the change and
accomodate an increase in insulin needs.  But, I
started out with my baseline as my tennis playing life
- since that is my normal day.

And agreed, the accomodations for all the differences
cannot be done all at once.  It is baby-steps
certainly in the beginning.  So, a pumper must start
with their "normal" activity - whatever it is.  Then
as they move through their life, accomodate the
different things that go on - same as what you are

A baseline is exactly that - a starting point that
accounts for your usual day (or at least a majority of
days).  If your normal day is to sit at a desk typing
e-mail all day (like I seem to be doing this morning)
then that is your baseline of activity.  If, however,
you go to the gym every day as a "normal" routine -
then you must be aware of that increase in activity
and accomodate for it.

Bottom line is testing, testing, testing - both BGs
and ratios and basals and whatever else it is that we
do to get where we're going - one step at a time. :)

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?