Re: [IP] RE: Carb factors

> So, Kristen, are you using just a book and packaging to do it that way?
> I thought the lists were mainly for use with gram scales?
> They asked me nicely to buy one and use it, but frankly I think it's too
> hassle most of the time!

A lot of times I use packaging and books.  I must confess I don't yet have a
gram scale.  (So I haven't used a gram scale list.  I've just used packaging
and books.  Truly a carb factor list based upon grams would benefit me
little, at this point!)  So I use other measurements.  Ounces, cups, etc.
I'll figure how many carbs in an ounce and then how many I have.  How many
carbs in a cracker and how many crackers I have.  That kind of thing.  I'll
often figure how many carbs in a cup and then figure the number in the
amount in the recipe, like with flour.  So my "carb factors" are divided by
a different measurement, but they are the same thing as the gram ones, just
using a different system of measurement, if that makes sense.

I still do a lot of estimating, figuring carb grams in an entire recipe and
what proportion of the total recipe I am eating.  With a gram scale, I hope
to remove some of the guesswork.

Which brings a question about the gram scales.  I have a very old manual
ounce scale that weighs a grand total of one pound.  The gram scales are, I
know, usually electronic.  So you turn them off.  I'm wondering if it is
possible to tare the scale before preparing the meal, and then when it is
prepared, say an hour later, put that same container on the scale and just
get the total weight of the prepared food?  If that isn't possible, I
suppose I could weigh the dish beforehand without taring it out and then
subtract it once the meal is prepared.

If I could do that, I'd feel like I could be more precise about my carb
counting.  And if I could use heavier items, like a dinner plate or cooking
utensil to weigh things in, I'd be much more apt to do it.  My ounce scale,
weighing things that are only up to one pound. makes it pretty hard to
figure out.

I'm looking forward to the flexibility of weighing with grams instead.
Sorry I didn't answer the question as an experienced gram scale user.  I've
figured the carb factors for other types of proportions other than grams,
though, so once I knew what "carb factors" were, the value of a gram scale,
and the real flexibility it offers in the amount you eat appealed to me.
I'm looking forward to using the number of grams instead of ounces or cups.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990