[IP] Re: Scar Tissue from 3+ Sites?

 I have no idea or knowledge about metal vs. plastic material causing scar
tissue in your body. What does make sense to me is the second point which
states, "2) Insertion of an infusion set means a lesion to the body. A cascade
of biochemical processes is started to finally heal this injury. At day 3-5,
formation of internal scar tissue starts, if something is left in the body, or
-as for infusion sets- in the skin."

 To me, the timeline is what's critical here, regardless of the material (day
3-5). His last point is that the plastic cannulas tempt us to leave them in
longer because of their comfort. Some people have written that they leave them
in for 4 days to a week or more. As far as recommendations for site changes go,
MiniMed actually recommends they be changed every 2 days, not 3, but people tend
to ignore this as 3 days seems to be an acceptable amount of time. Someone once
posted they thought this was a recommendation so MM could sell more infusion
sets, but maybe there's actually a good reason behind it.

 I currently change my sites every 3 days and thought I would experiment and see
if every 2 days made a difference, since day 3 seems to be the magic number
where scar tissue begins to form. Since everyone is different, I won't know
until I try it out for myself.

Shawna

<This didn't make sense to me the first time it was posted, and still doesn't
make sense to me now.  I may well be wrong about this, and if I am, I hope
someone will explain how.

The reason why I don't understand why this would be true is that as long as
I've pumped, I've been told you should change your site more frequently if
you use metal.  I believe it is recommended that the site be changed every
two days with metal needles, as opposed to every three with plastic
cannulas.

If the above is correct, then why aren't we given guidelines that are the
reverse of what they are?  Please enlighten me.  Until I am enlightened,
however, I am content to continue changing out every three days or so.  I
haven't seen any sign of scar tissue yet in twelve and a half years of
pumping.  And for much of that time, I changed out every four days instead
of every three!

Kristen>

<Red spots or scar tissue formation are mainly dependent on two factors:

1) kind of material which is brought into the body
2) duration of the presence of this material

 1) Plastic materials (soft cannulas) do promote scar tissue formation more than
do steel cannulas. This is due to the surface constitution of this material.
This is one reason why in surgery for long-term implants usually metal or
ceramic ones are being used. (High-tech plastics are also applied!) With breast
implants, encapsulation is sometimes a problem, because the body builds up a
barrier versus the plastic material. To a smaller extend, this is also true for
soft cannulas.

 2) Insertion of an infusion set means a lesion to the body. A cascade of
biochemical processes is started to finally heal this injury. At day 3-5,
formation of internal scar tissue starts, if something is left in the body, or
-as for infusion sets- in the skin.

 As soft sets tempt us to use them quite long and because of their material,
they promote scar tissue formation and red spots versus steel needles. That's
why I resist the temptation to use soft sets and stay very happy with
my rapid d!>