Re: [IP] kids at school protocol

Your 10 year old will definitely have bolusing mastered by week three. . .

What "school protocol" is appropriate varies by child (and will need to
evolve over time for each child).  You need to consider such factors as the
child's maturity level, self confidence, knowledge and skill in carrying out
self-management tasks, age, how long it's been since diagnosis, etc.  Only
you can determine what will be appropriate for him now and in the future --
don't let the school have control over that . .. their priorities are much
different from yours and it is you, as the parent who knows what is
appropriate in order for your child to be safe while ensuring long term
health through good glucose control and providing for minimal disruption of
his education.

My daughter got her pump 4 months after she turned 10 and seven months after
diagnosis.  From the very beginning, she handled everything to do with her
pump and her diabetes on her own while at school (at home, she likes to have
us deal with more of it).  If she had a question or problem, she called a
parent on the cell phone that we provided for her .

As far as bolusing for lunch, snacks, etc. we sent a card in with her each
day that listed the carb count and bolus amount for each item  in her lunch
(i.e. "Cheetos  15g   0.8u"). Some people just write the bolus amount on the
packaging itself -- I wanted her to be aware of carb counts,too -- since carb
bolus ratios can change over time.  She bolused seperately for each item as
she took it out to eat it.  (For school hot lunches you should be able to get
carb counts from the dietician who makes up the menu -- usually at the
district office).  For special/suprise carbs (like when they cooked something
in math or someone brought food to celebrate  birthday) she either looked at
the carb counts on the packaging, checked the pocket carb book that was with
her d-supplies in class, or (after a short while) would just guesstimate a
bolus and check in an hour and a half (as usual) and make and needed
correction then.

We had little charts in her stuff at school & binder  that made it very easy
for her to look up what her correction bolus should be (based on her glucose
level) and also what her carb bolus should be for any given amount of carbs.
At ten, she could do the math for these calculations, but it was a pretty
slow process and not one that we felt comfortable in risking an error .  .  .

 All I asked of the school was what that they accommodate her need to carry
out her diabetes self-management tasks whenever and wherever she was at
school (sending someone to get what she needed if she was low and away from
her classroom), and to have an adult keep an eye on her she was self-treating
a low -- as well as to have willing individuals trained in how to administer
glucagon should it every be needed . . .

She was always very independent, capable, and responsible -- and prefered to
not have to make a big deal about diabetes care by having someone else
involved any more than was abosolutely necessary -- so this "protocol" worked
for her.   If this is what you think is appropriate for you child, I think
you need to TELL the school that this is how its going to be now that he's
pumping and not ASK them if it is okay.

Best of luck to you on the pump start -- I hope you find pumping the blessing
it has been for my daughter and our family!

Pumpmama to Katie (12)